Our planet is literally drowning in plastics, with an estimated 300 million tons produced every year and an annual growth rate of 9%. What’s even worse is that most of that plastic is found in single-use bags, straws, cups, and other throw-away items. That waste has quickly contributed to what we now believe to be between 15–51 trillion pieces of plastic in the world’s oceans.
What is Plastic-Free?
“Plastic-free” may seem like an impossible concept. After all, we are surrounded by plastics at every turn, and up until recently, much of our fast-paced lives was infused with a profusion of plastic-based products and services.
I say “until recently” because there has been a growing effort to turn the tide of plastic pollution in recent years, here at All Good we have committed to making a difference with our plastic free products. It’s become obvious that the only thing that we can do to help save our planet and protect ourselves from worsening widespread pollution is to take a stand against plastic and make a change for the better.
How to Make Plastic-Free Change
The question is simple, but the reality is a bit more complicated. It’s easy to say that we all want to save the planet (and save the world), but it’s not always easy to bring about real and lasting change. It is possible though, with a big part of that change starting with conscious and intentional living. Here are just a few quick ways you can start living a plastic-free life:
- Use recycled bags when shopping or carrying items.
- Use reusable utensils, plates, and cups (yes, that means no more plastic bottles).
- Buy and use plastic-free lotion, plastic-free lip balm, and other popular beauty products.
- Buy in bulk to avoid the profusion of small containers and other excessive packaging materials.
- Reduce paper usage and unnecessary waste.
- Visit the farmer’s market to buy fruits, vegetables, and other goods directly from the source.
- Go for green clothing, eco-friendly footwear, and other plastic-free accessories.
- Bring your own plastic-free containers when buying meat, prepared food, bulk items, etc.
- Start composting to cut down on waste, but also use compostable trash bags.
- Rethink the way you wrap gifts and go with plastic-free options.
- Select zero-plastic packaging for online ordering or shipping.
- If you’re unable to go completely plastic-free, aim for products packaged in PCR/recycled plastic.
Gandhi’s famous quote is often cited incorrectly, “Be the change you want to see in the world”. What he really said was this, “If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change”.
We change the world by adapting our lifestyles to more sustainable options. It doesn’t have to happen all at once, but even one change at a time will make a difference. It’s our responsibility to minimize our consumption, plan ahead to minimize inconvenience, and get creative.
Benefits of Going Plastic-Free
While it might seem easier to live a life surrounded by plastic, the benefits of a plastic-free life far outweigh the alternative. But why is this such a big deal? Why should you even bother? Here are a few quick benefits of living a plastic-free lifestyle.
- Health. Plastic-free is better for your health because it encourages you to be more intentional about what you eat and drink. Plastic use has been linked to a whole host of direct and indirect toxicity issues. Going plastic-free has far-ranging benefits to your health and well-being.
- Education. It’s an opportunity to learn about new plastic-free products and services, as you determine which options will best meet your needs. Going plastic-free benefits your learning and growth journey.
- Intention. Plastic-free living allows you to be more intentional with your purchases. It’s also called social investing, putting money where your values are. Going plastic-free has the benefit of encouraging this intentional living.
- Creativity. It encourages you to think outside the box and be creative about ways to live without plastics. Plastic-free living might just become something of an adventure.
- Environment. Yep, that’s the big focus of your plastic-free life. Going plastic-free really makes a difference to the environment, wildlife, and the world as a whole.
Really, the only way to turn the tide of plastic pollution is to stop that mountain of waste from entering our waterways, oceans, and rivers. We can see the range of benefits, but the truth is that we all must make a choice to be a part of the plastic-free revolution.
The Importance of Plastic-Free
Plastic-free is important not just because plastic is destroying our oceans. It’s also important to remember that plastics have a harmful effect on animals and our own bodies, with toxins that poison groundwater while having disastrous effects on our endocrine systems.
It might seem like a far-fetched dream to envision a future without mounds of plastic lining our roadsides and waterways, but we have to believe and put every effort into making this future a reality.
If You Must Buy Plastic
As an eco-friendly company, our goal is to achieve fully non-plastic packaging, but this is a long process and there is still progress that has to be made over time. If going completely plastic-free is not an option, the next best option as a consumer is to buy products that are packaged in PCR/recycled materials, like those produced here at All Good Products (although many of our products are plastic-free as well). Buying products that use PCR/recycled packaging is a nice middle ground that can allow you to still do your part as our world continues moving toward a plastic-free future.
The Next Step: Shop Plastic-Free Products
Isn’t it a beautiful idea to envision a future without the mounds of plastic lining our roadsides and waterways? All Good’s goal is to return to the free and wild world that we once had, through our commitment to a plastic-free future and our initiatives to be carbon neutral. That’s why we are taking important steps to support and encourage the creativity and commitment of consumers (like you) to do what’s right for the environment, the animals, and yourself. We offer a plastic-free body care set, and other products to help move consumers in the right direction, using biodegradable and compostable materials.
Our full plastic free product line perfectly exemplifies why and how businesses can share and encourage plastic-free, sustainable behavior, while recognizing that we can always do more for our environment. Check them out today.